SWEET BABY BROCCOLI RICE SALAD
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups organic wild rice
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 3 3/4 cups room temperature water
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 large bunch Green Giant™ Fresh Sweet Baby Broccoli
- 2 tablespoons dried apricot, chopped
- 1 cup dried pomegranate
- 1 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil; sauté shallot, garlic and rice (slightly browning the rice). Add butter and water. Turn up the heat and bring to a boil. After boiling, turn heat down to medium and cover pot with a lid. Cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Once rice is tender, remove from heat and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When rice is cooling, boil 6 cups of water and 2 tablespoons salt. Once water is boiling, add Sweet Baby Broccoli. Let cook for 1 minute. In a separate bowl,add equal parts water and ice (about 6 cups of water and equal parts ice). After blanching the broccoli in the boiling water, remove broccoli and drop into ice bath. Leave in the ice bath until broccoli is cooled. Once broccoli is cooled, remove from ice bath and chop tops of broccoli into 1-inch pieces. Julienne the stems into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss the broccoli, apricots, pomegranates, and almonds with the rice and incorporate well. Next, add the lemon juice and white wine vinegar and mix well again. Add salt and pepper to taste. Chill rice salad for one hour, then serve and enjoy!